What Insurance do you need when Renovating?
While everyone wants the perfect job, renovations cost money & homeowners need to make sure that they are fully covered while their home is being renovated.
The T.V Shows on renovating gives the impression that anyone can do it successfully, but the one thing that is NOT mentioned is Insurance.
A recent article by Allianz Australia highlights the fact that if you DIY, owner build or use a Registered Builder. You need to have the correct Insurance in place to protect your biggest investment – Your home while being renovated.
A number of points Homeowner/Renovators need to be well aware of before starting.
- * In the BUILDING ACT there is no such term as DIY or Renovator. The construction is done as an Owner Builder or by a Registered Builder.
- * Policy Limits apply to all Home & Contents Insurance policies (Which can be as low as $2000, $20 000 etc) which once you exceed the limit. Then you need to obtain Owner Builder Construction & Public Liability Insurance or your builder needs to cover your Home & Renovation.
- * Most Builders do NOT cover your existing home and definitely not contents.
- * Inform your Home and Contents Insurer and get the answer in writing. E.g. Am I covered for water damage from the renovation entering the existing part of the home? Is Public liability extended to the property?
- * If you neglected to obtain a Building Permit. The Insurer will treat your extension as illegal building works (excluded from the policy).
This is just some of the queries the Home Owner needs to be fully aware before starting the job.
Read more on our blogs page